Tags: Advice, Mindy, please,

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Advice on Mindy, please
14-02-2010, 11:01 PM
Advice on Mindy, please
Just wondering if anyone has any advice or information.

Yesterday, I noticed that Mindy was very wet on her bottom. Not dirty like she use to be but when I did dry her with a tissue, it was a slight brown colour. She is still pooping normally and they are normal.

She did seem to be straining a little to wee.

Today I've checked her over and discovered a very small spot/abscess on her opening. She let me touch it and she didn't flinch so I don't think it's hurting her. I've cut away the fur and put a little vaseline on as she looked a little sore.

She's still eating and drinking and being her normal self although she does seem to spend more time lying down in her cage. But then Mindy has never been a very active rabbit. When she is in the living room, she's her normal self.

Now I know an abscess near their opening, can be a sign of cancer and Mindy is not spayed as the vets I have been to, have not be comfortable putting her under as she does have a very slight heart murmur.

So does anyone have any advice ?

I would be straight down the vets but my dad has been made redundant, meaning the next time I will get money, will be my birthday which is in 9 days . I really don't want to leave it that long Cry
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top
14-02-2010, 11:08 PM
RE: Advice on Mindy, please
ooh tough call sweetie. how old is she?
it could be that she has cystitis(sp?) and she is straining to wee and the wee is a little stained due to blood. but this spot is a bit sinister. any chance you could get a photo?
some vets will be willing to offer a payment plan. if you explain the situation then they might be able to see her sooner and agree for you to pay later. you will have to double check.
dont get too worried too quickly, if she is still eating and drinking and acting her normal self then there is no need to panic yet. x

[Image: SIG.jpg]
14-02-2010, 11:14 PM (This post was last modified: 14-02-2010 11:43 PM by Rio. Edit Reason: )
Mindy will be 2 in April.

I've just been searching for information and what is coming up most of the time is a urine infection.

I'll try and get a picture of it x
I couldn't get a picture.

But the spot/abscess is about 0.6cms big, looks slightly grey on top but also yellow. It's not hard and I can move it slightly. It just seems to be covering up alot so maybe that's why she is finding it difficult to pee ?

I forgot to say that she really does stink. Although that's not a new thing. For months now, Mindy has had a foul smell but the vets didn't know what it could be.
15-02-2010, 08:19 AM
Thinking its so difficult. the spot could be because of the urine infection, or the other way round. im afraid i have no suggestions for the smell though, obviously something is going on there.
if no one else on here can shed any light might be worth just ringing your vet, see if they think it need seeing straight away or whether it can wait. iv personally not had any experiance with rabbit urine infections or ovaria cancer, so im afraid my knowledge is a bit limited. sorry x

[Image: SIG.jpg]
15-02-2010, 10:28 AM
is she over weight at all... what kind of diet is she on... has she lost any weight around the lower abdomen... rub your hands down her sides, does she flinch or look like she is in any pain elsewhere... does she have a large dewlap... has she ever been bred

i would suggest giving the vets a call and explain your financial state, our vets have always allowed me to pay at a later date if ive been tight... if not try giving your local pdsa a ring, at the very least shes gonna need an antibiotic injection... sounds like shes deffinatly got an infection down their... but you'd need to check the underlying cause, which really only a vet can do by investigating... do you have any pics of the 'spot' i only ask as ive had several worried owners come back to me with the spot on the side of the genitals which has just been the scent glad

[Image: signaturerr.gif]
becki - bunny breeder, exhibitor, jumper, lover and BRC judge
My Website - My Blog - My Facebook
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-02-2010, 11:48 AM
I got Mindy booked in for an emergency appointment this morning and she does have an infection.
She was given an antibiotic shot and I've been given Baytril and Metacam to give to her.

I sold one of my bass guitars to fund it. I'm not bothered about that as I care for Mindy more.

The last time I went to the vets with her, November, they told me she was grossly over weight. He weighed her today and he said her weight was fine. She has not lost any weight although I have restricted her diet in an attempt to shift some weight.

Mindy is on Wagg bunny brunch. Not the best, I know, but it's the only one so far that hasn't given her stomach problems.

She didn't flinch at all when I touched her. The vet was very surprised about that.

Mindy does have quite a large dewlap but she's had that since she was 8 months old.

The only thing that worries me is that she hasn't had any droppings for 12 hours. Hopefully she might feel a little better now as she was straining before.

The vet said he would have kept her in but because she is her normal self and still eating and drinking, he said it would be better if she was at home.

If she still has no droppings by tomorrow morning, she is going back. She is booked in again for Wednesday.

I showed him the abscess but said it was probably due to urine scold. She was also very swollen but not around it, which was also a bit weird.

The smell ? probably from the infection.

Thank you so so so much for all your advice. I really do appreciate it and I'm sure Mindy does too. She even worried my mum !
Hopefully I'll get some sleep now. Been up for 26 hours Dodgy
15-02-2010, 11:55 AM
At least you know what it is now, and hopefully she will pick up soon.
Sending pooping vibes your way hun Backhug_THG7SH

[Image: fkz95d.jpg]

As Admin please PM if you have any queries
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-02-2010, 12:10 PM
Thank you Smile

When we got there, the receptionist thought she was on the verge of dying because of the car ride. She has never been good in cars. Her nose runs, she dribbles, her breathing is laboured. As soon as she goes on the table, she's fine Smile
15-02-2010, 01:42 PM
Awwww bless her. Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery. She's been very brave Heart

[Image: ROTMfebsig.jpg?t=1266261484]
15-02-2010, 05:43 PM
We have bunny poop Big Grin

Granted it's not a lot but at least it's a step in the right direction !

And she took her Metacam with no fuss.

Thank you everyone Heart

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Heartbroken and advice? Lu199 1 141 03-05-2014 12:06 PM
Last Post: BobbyRaisor
  Male Bunny Behaviour - advice please? Marble_n_Munch 4 305 29-12-2013 01:12 AM
Last Post: Linda
  URGENT Advice Requested - RE: Travel to Vets suei 9 428 01-08-2013 10:50 PM
Last Post: Jemm
  GI Stasis advice please solarwind 0 220 02-07-2013 06:47 AM
Last Post: solarwind
  Advice Please!! switchgirl12 1 213 22-05-2013 09:23 AM
Last Post: CurlewStud